Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nashville with the Nephews

The first road trip that Virginia and I took was the fall break before we were engaged - it was meant to be a short little jaunt to Louisville, KY, to see our good friends Jason and Donna and Virginia's sister Lisa.  That short little 4 hour drive ended up turning into an 8 hour one...and so when we embarked upon our recentest married road trip, the though "please let this not turn out like our last road-trip" was forefront in my mind.

As I mentioned in my last post, we were going to go camping with Kris, Eryn, and their four little boys, but unfortunately nearly all of them got some sort of sinus crud at the last moment.  Not letting that cancel our plans, Endy and I (the boys named her that when they were quite little, and have affectionately named me "Uncle Crease") headed up the road to visit them at their home in Nashville.

It is always an adventure here in Nashville.  All four of my nephews are five years old or younger - yes, Eryn is quite the woman, and I respect her tenacity and fortitude.  One day, she's going to have a squad of courageous young men to take care of her.  For now though, our hours here are spent in laughing, screaming, chasing, hiking, wrestling, "mom-he-did-this-or-that-ing," and so on, and I love it.

I have always wanted to be the fun, super-cool, loving uncle who spoils his nephews, and barring one of my siblings getting married in the next year or so, there was little chance of that happening in my family.  Fortunately, I got to marry into a wonderful family full of nephews and nieces for me to dote on.  In fact, I was Uncle Crease before Endy and I got married.

Each of my nephews are highly unique - their names alone should tell you that.  Madigan is the oldest (and loudest), and perhaps the most protective and philosophical.  Eryn is constantly quoting him, and he is constantly informing me he would like to be a paleontologist when he grows up - specifically to study sauropods.  He's five.

Paugie is the quieter one (when he's not echoing his oldest brother), and is extremely easy to talk to.  I'm quite sure he wants to be a Hobbit when he grows up: he just doesn't know it yet.

Jevy is the loner of the group, if such a thing exists between these four lads, preferring to choose who he loves on, and when he loves on them.  I have learned to give him his space, and occasionally he will approach me for affection of some simple sort.  He is a mystery, and I love it.

And finally, Kelton.  What a sweetheart.  He is a constant flirt, full of laughter, and runs faster than any toddler I've ever seen.  He looks at me with a twinkle in his eye, and I wink back; we share secrets in those glances that no one else will ever know.

This weekend has been so incredibly relaxing for me.  It is so nice to be around people I love - even though I haven't known them for very long - and to start stepping into the role of Uncle Crease I have always wanted.  I can't wait to grow with my nephews, and make marvelous memories with my brother and sister-in-law.  Being here is inspiring - and so, blurring the lines a bit between my travel blog and my poetry blog, I have written a poem for each of my nephews.  Enjoy!  And happy traveling to see your loved ones.

Protector and lover,
Ideal older brother,
Garrulous fun,
Energy never done:
Madigan the Mighty

The hobbit-child,
Observes the wild,
From perch on the couch,
In a studious slouch:
Reflective Paugie

Chewing the shirt,
Gaze divert,
Walk for a mile,
Happy, sideways smile:
Steady Jevy

Helter-skelter,
Little heart shmelter,
Loving and sweet,
Steady on the feet:
Constant Kelty.




2 comments:

  1. Love this so much. Love you two so much. What a fabulous time with you great people; let's do this lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much. Love you two so much. What a fabulous time with you great people; let's do this lots!!!

    ReplyDelete