Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 8

Never in my entire life have I not wanted to leave a place more than Estes Park, Colorado.  I really do wish I could just stay here, even knowing how the winters are.  The Rockies have captured my heart, and it's terrible to leave them.
Today, we're driving back to Lawrence, Kansas (joy), which none of us are particularly excited about.  Last night, we had KFC for dinner, and Dad ordered a personal size coleslaw that they forgot to give him, so this morning, he swung back by and demanded they give it to him. So now, on the way back to Kansas, Dad is munching on coleslaw and sipping on Baja Blast Mountain Dew.  Just after breakfast.
Its extremely depressing driving through super flat country again, watching the mountains fade into the distance.  Mom commented that it's neat to see where we have been as opposed to going there and having no idea what's ahead of us.  I tend to agree: the mountains change you.
To anyone traveling through Colorado on I70, a word of warning: Limon is home to the slowest and most incompetent Subway ever, and they try to kill you with mustard.  I don't know what it is about these flat-landers...
In the words of my wise father, "the only good thing about Kansas is the band."  I happen to agree.
You know you're headed back towards home as the humidity gets high enough to notice.  I feel sticky already and we're only in Kansas...
Well, it's 10:43pm Central time, and we changed our itinerary just a bit.  Instead of going back to Lawrence, we decided to spend the night in Independence, MO, so we will be closer to St. Louis (and the City Museum!).  As it is, we will have been in the car for just about 12 hours today.  I don't really have any fabulous pictures from the drive today (although we did see a cargo train carrying the blades of wind turbines...pretty cool), but I have relearned one important fact: long distance trips aren't meant for people over 6 ft.  Holy smoke, my knees.
Anyway, I'm glad to be with my family right now.  I don't get to see them enough with me and Dad and Jessica working.  So I'm thankful.  I'm not even waiting to see if the hotel has good WiFi, thereby avoiding disappointment.  Goodnight, from just outside Independence, MO.  Tomorrow will be the last day of one of our best adventures this far.

1 comment:

  1. I drove through Kansas last summer and I completely sympathize with you. I thought it was nice that they gave free coffee out at the welcome center, but then I realized it was the only way to possibly stay awake.

    PS. I'm glad you're doing this blog. I will look forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete