Saturday, June 14, 2014

DC Day 3

Today, I am writing you from the lobby of the hotel I'm staying in right outside the metro station in Arlington, Virginia.  Much to my chagrin, I have a cup of Starbucks coffee sitting next to my computer because, as I found out when I checked in, you have to pay for the wifi in your room.  I found this a little absurd, as even mediocre hotels have wifi, and I figured if I had to condescend to using a public place to do my writing for today, I was going to use somewhere other than the hotel lobby.  I bought my coffee, sat myself in the corner of the small building, and pulled out my laptop, wondering how I would begin today's post, and what I saw astounded me.  The Arlington Starbucks near my hotel didn't have wifi.  WHAT?!

Slightly ticked, I made the short walk back to the faux leather adorned lobby, grumpily pulled out my laptop, and started writing.  Things could be a lot worse, to be sure.  I finally got the chance to talk to my parents and tell them about all the amazing things I've learned this weekend, and I'm watching Costa Rica give Uruguay a shellacking they'll never forget.  And hey, I'm in DC.  Life is pretty good at the moment.

I'm saddened that my weekend in DC is almost over.  I'm flying home tomorrow on Father's Day (my flight should arrive back in Knoxville around 9:34...so my precise ticket says), but I learned SO MUCH between yesterday and today.  I tweeted a lot during the conference, and several of my tweets we favorited and retweeted by astute analysts and politicians, and Tyler, one of the young men in charge of the event, complimented me on a few like the following:

": solid ed reform views and amazing hair. "

Or this one:

"Integrating solid economics and hilarious comedy. ladies and gentlemen. "

(My Twitter handle is @Scarlet_Snow, by the way.)

After saying goodbye to my new and good friends, I hopped on the metro (which runs a lot slower on Saturdays), and arrived here at my hotel around 2ish.  I'm planning to go to Carlyle Grand Cafe tonight (if it isn't too far of a walk...the Library of Congress closed early today, to my disappointment, so I'm staying in Arlington), and since I won't have any interwebs on my laptop in my room, I figured I'd go ahead and post this now.  If I have any fabulous adventures tonight, I'll write you tomorrow or just update on my phone or something.

Hoping for a smooth evening and an even smoother flight home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment