Wednesday, March 9, 2016

An Aspiring Native, Day 2

As most of you know if you've read any of this blog, I am a sucker for anything Germany/Austrian.  In fact, I keep an eye out for anything that would remind me of my time there a few summers ago, and as I was compiling my Things to See in DC list, I came across the Biergarten Haus on H Street.  Elated, I decided to pay it a visit that very night, as Virginia and I had done little but unpack and attempt to organize since I wrote you last.  As it turns out, the inside of the building (and the garden in the back) looked just like the Hofbrauhaus Hawkins and I visited in Munich.  While fare there is a bit pricey, I would highly recommend it to anyone fond of German food/drink/culture.  Everything is imported - thus the price.  We also decided we would love to live in that area one day, as the houses all look something like this:



Both Virginia and I have been job hunting the last few days (she has a virtual job, but is virtually exhausted of not seeing people on a daily basis, and that's a downright shame in DC), and one job she stumbled across searching for museum jobs was "cheetah care."  Yes, as it turns out, the Smithsonian is currently looking for someone to handle their cheetah preservation, and, based on the exhibit we visited today, Virginia would only occasionally be targeted for food, based on her height, weight, etc.  Who knew?  (For those of wondering, she was going to begin the application process, if only just to say she's applied for a job so...unique...but as it turns out you have to have worked a particular federal paygrade previously to be considered.  Go figure.) 

That job opening inspired us to take a trip down to the Smithsonian Zoo, as it is free, and we had to move our car off the street in front of our house for the weekly street cleaning (which, as it turns out, didn't happen.  Apparently it's a hit-or-miss type thing with a $200 penalty if you get caught with your car on the street during cleaning time, which is every Wednesday from 9:30-11:30).  We got to see almost every section of the zoo minus the Amazon section and the petting zoo (which was mostly goats...suffice it to say neither Virginia nor I have any desire to pet a goat any time soon), which included giant pandas, giant tortoises, lions, tigers, and (sloth) bears, oh my!, zebras, all kinds of reptiles, monkeys, gorillas, lemurs, *gasp for air* and really every other kind of creature you can think of.  It's a great zoo, and I can't wait to visit again.  I've included some pictures at the end of the post so you can see a few of the highlights.

Life in DC is going pretty well so far.  Job hunting is exhausting, and all I have to speak for up to this point is one job rejection - which I applied for over a month ago when I was still in TN.  Virginia had her first metro experience today, which we loved, but we are still getting used to the walk from our house to the Anacostia station.  Lots of loiters, which we aren't used to.
Any and all prayers would be welcome, as we are doing our best to fit in, be productive, and pursue what is we were meant to.  I really like the sound of that.

I'll write again soon!  I hope you are well.

J

Interesting people in the metro:
1) Catholic cowboy, sighted in the Gallery Place Metro.  Wearing 10 gallon, black cowboy hat, and a matching black priest's collar.
2) Girl with two large buns in her hair with roses peeking out of the tops.
3) Random teen guy who got the number of another random teen girl within 5 minutes flat.  Props, bro.  Hawkins would be proud.

P.S. nbbgv jjhn - Alley says he is attempting to get a tan at the window, but is seeing no progress.  Updates to follow.


Being a panda is rough work.
Caught this vulture pre flight.

Virginia's cheetah.

Green tree snake.
One of my favorite poison frogs.


VA and the Cassowary.

I'm a big fan of flamingos.

No comments:

Post a Comment