Saturday, March 19, 2016

An Aspiring Native, Day 4

You wouldn't believe the intersections in DC.  I'm sure many places are worse, but when I think intersection, I generally don't think 14 red lights pointing every angle but straight up and straight down.  Yes, this is, in fact, an intersection Virginia and I encountered trying to find our way around the city.  In just two weeks I have become a pro at crossing six lanes of traffic in 150 feet to exit on the opposite side of the highway, and of parallel parking my massive Dodge Charger into places I would have otherwise thought impossible just 16 days ago.  Dad would be proud of that.  In fact, the stress of driving and of shopping in ridiculous grocery stores downtown have made something as simple as shopping in Walmart intensely relaxing.

Oh, what do you do to relax?
Oh, we shop at Walmart.
...

One thing I have unfairly neglected to tell you about thus far is our wonderful new church, Capitol Hill Baptist Church.  At the recommendation of my former pastor, Chris, I did some research on it before moving, and have started attending since we moved.  After our first Sunday there, Virginia and I have been nearly every time the doors have been open.  We *love* it.  Solid teaching, both Sunday morning and night and Wednesday, like-minded couples (we went out to lunch last Sunday and are planning to go out again tomorrow with couples there), and just an all around warm and welcoming atmosphere have led us to attend the membership classes, with a hope of joining.  We have yet to find work, but reader, we have found a church.  And to us that is just as, if not more, important.  I haven't felt so alive and so happy to be a Christian in many years.

Today, we spent our day finishing up the membership classes at CHBC, and then met our new friends Carla and Jason at Pi (literally, π) Pizzeria - which is our new favorite pizza joint - and then toured Ford's Theatre (saw the actual gun that killed Lincoln), finishing with a stack of 15,000 books all about Lincoln himself:


From there, we headed over to the National Art Gallery, where just inside we got to see the Navy Chorus perform a few songs.  I really wished that my sister Jessica could have seen them - they were immaculate.  To get from one section of the museum from another, you have to go through an underground tunnel, that is really difficult to describe, so I'll just show you another picture:


The lights move in patterns all along the ceiling and down to the left, and we could still hear the haunting lyrics of a song called "Prayer" being sung by the Navy Chorus above as we went through.  It was beautiful and eerie.

Still underground, there is a massive book/art/merch store for the Art Gallery, and there is a coffee shop/food court that, again, I wished my sisters could have seen, as I know they would have enjoyed themselves.  There, we swapped stories with our new friends on how the other met their spouse, got married, etc.  It was so relaxing to have a good and natural conversation with another couple.

I have decided, upon a very brief tour of the Gallery, that it is my favorite museum to date.  The atmosphere is incredible - it is as if I could nearly hear physical manifestations of all my dreams and aspirations as an artist floating about me in the rotundas and corridors that were filled with art.  I fully intend to return soon with a pen, some paper, and perhaps some classical music, and just see where my inspiration takes me.

The weather this entire week has been beautiful.  Virginia and I have been wearing shorts and tshirts, taking walks, enjoying a few of the early cherry blossoms, and making plans to go see outdoor attractions when we can.  Today, however, we awoke to cold temperatures, and discovered that snow is coming - as soon as tomorrow.  Some people are speculating this could have a negative effect on the coming cherry blossoms, but that remains to be seen.

Well, this is where I will leave you.  I had an interview for a position with a congressman last Thursday, but have yet to hear anything.  We have both been applying to many, many jobs, and Virginia has an interview on Monday.  Please be praying that we would get something soon.  I think, despite our many adventures, we are both beginning to get a little stir-crazy.

Here's to hoping your bracket is doing a lot better than mine, and that this post finds you with a smile on your face with the promise of warmer weather soon.

Yours,

J

Something that is completely new to me this week: An ad promoting a tattoo convention April 15th in Baltimore.  No further details were provided.

"Nmmjhm/ ..,.VHN.TYDRM,KERMEKUJMEDMN MN"
Alley would like to inform you that running laps around the room dragging one of Virginia's shoes is his new favorite activity, and that he is considering taking up fashion as a hobby.  I cannot confirm nor deny my endorsement of these activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment