Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Austrian Internship: Day 19

Today was a super relaxed day for me.  I worked at the "Granny Care" or the Senior citizen care, where we cook, go on walks, go shopping, play games, with the local senior citizens.  It was a ton of fun: everyone tried to learn learn a little English, and teach me a little German.  We had breakfast together, and shortly after went on a walk down to the local shop where we talked and had a snack.  When we got back, the workers got out a foam ball and we all sat in a circle and tossed the ball to each other.  It was hilarious to see the older people get competitive with each other, throwing the ball with great "ferocity" and cackling when the other person missed a "fast pitch."  The day continued much like this, and I enjoyed it, although I'll admit that while we were taking them all home tonight I was falling asleep in the passenger chair, especially with the help of the pouring rain on the windshield.  Makes me want to take a nap at 6pm...

I don't usually have nicknames (Mom hates it when I'm called anything but Jonathan...I don't care much), but there's something great sounding about an Austrian or German calling me "Johnny."  I don't usually like Americans calling me that - there are a very few exceptions - but I love it here.  It ends up sounding like "Chohnnie" and has a nice ring to it.

Other than the things I've mentioned, the only other thing I really did today, other than drink coffee, was to cook chili with Markus for the station.  It turned out super amazing.  I'm beginning to think Markus should just quit his job, and he and I can open a unique restaurant here in Jennersdorf - good traditional dinners with Southern style breakfasts.  Now there's an odd combination...

Anyway, tonight I shall spend snacking, snoozing, and talking to my family.  And maybe trying to make the internet work long enough to watch an American cartoon or show.  But that's an entirely different battle.

Goodnight from Jennersdorf!

No comments:

Post a Comment