Thursday, July 17, 2014

Austrian Internship: Day 6

We finally signed out of the Hotel Probst this morning, having made drastic changes in our plans and staying their 3 nights.  We both loved that quaint hotel and I'm bait sad to leave it.

After a quick stop for Internet to verify our train, we headed up to board an ICE train toward Munich to transfer and head to Salzburg!  Hopefully we'll find everything with ease today and not have a repeat of Wurzburg/Day 1 of Nuremberg.
Huzzah!  We got on board the ICE train to Munich and actually found non reserved seats and luggage storage in one try.  The Lord blessed us: we didn't have to spend any money on a reservation and we got comfortable seats.  On to Salzburg!

Traveling today has been a piece of cake thank the Lord.  We're on board a Meridian train to Salzburg now, and should arrive by 14:00, assuming we aren't delayed.  I'm really enjoying this relaxed day so far.

We've been on the road for almost an hour now, and I think we can safely say: we're really in Europe. Rolling hills and scattered villages and farms surround the tracks, and off in the distance I got my first glimpse of the Alps.  This feels surreal.  It's like I stepped into one of my old history books.  Sure, the city is "europe" too...but it's much more heart warming out here.

Also, I'm listening to music for the first time since I've been over here, and I feel American again for a bit hearing Taylor Swift come on shuffle.  It felt good.  Judge away.  Who am I kidding though?!  I'm a musician...hearing orchestral music reminds me that I need music...I realize now that going without it almost depresses me, and I didn't notice before.

I've decided that bringing a hiking backpack would have been much better than a suitcase.  Especially for the type of travel we're doing.  Hawkins and I are considering writing down Travel in Europe for Broke College Students.  Yeah there's Rick Steves...but then there's also the perspective of a broke college student on his first time.  We have advice Mr. Steves doesn't.  ;)

We were told that Salzburg is hot this time of year.  That is correct.  We did arrive at 14:00 on the dot safe and sound and took a long walk to the cheapest hotel in the city that the Lord so graciously provided.  It is in a shopping alleyway, in a 700 year old building, and we had to limb four flights of stairs I can barely fit my shoulders through to get to our room.  Our hostess is an older woman who doesn't speak a lick of English, and that makes things very difficult.  There is hair on the pillows and blankets and we have a community toilet and shower, but hey.  It's a room.

We have so much we want to see around here...I'm not sure we'll get to half of it, and we don't have a ton of money.  We shall see what happens, and I'm sure you'll hear of it.  If not tomorrow, sometime this week.

Tonight we hiked the mountain that overlooks the entire city of Salzburg, and we are currently just relaxing, leaning against the wall of a castle, taking in the view.  In the distance I can see a HUGE fortress, 8 steeples, and only around a quarter of the town.  The city may be busy and loud...but here, where it is quiet and calm, the world is beautiful.

As we spent most of our day in travel and finding our hotel, even with getting up early, all we had time for was finding a grocery store and our hiking.  Tomorrow we plan to tour Mozart's house, maybe see a few churches and gardens, and perhaps the fortress.  Then, finally, we get to start our internship!  I'm very excited to have the upcoming structure and work.

We shall see when I am able to post next: most likely it will be from Eisenstadt!  Until then.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment