Thursday, July 24, 2014

Austrian Internship: Days 12-13

There is SO much to tell you between today and yesterday that I can hardly think or remember to tell it all.  It is such a flurry of extremely kind people showing us around and providing things for us, and driving us places...

Yesterday: We finished our first aid training and we finished a small crash-course in paramedics (as we will be helping in the ambulances), guided in everything by our great friend, Mario.  He role-played for us, quizzing us on what we knew from breath-less-ness to strokes, to heart attacks...you name it, we had to treat it.
Mario also taught us our way around the Austrian super-markets: where to get the best and cheapest food, and he even taught us the German to order it.  I'm still a little shaky, but his help was fantastic.  And ALWAYS there are great coffee breaks where we just sit and talk like good friends.  Mario I will dearly miss when I have to leave.

After being picked up this morning by Sandra today and driven to Eisenstadt,  we went to the Esterhazy Palace into the concert hall Haydn himself performed in regularly - it was still in wonderful condition (you should HEAR those acoustics...) - and we got to see the Josef Haydn Brass Quintet perform his own work in his own concert hall.  I can't even begin to describe to you how ecstatic I was.

We heard the second movement of the Trumpet Concerto in Eb,  which I am currently studying to perform later this year, a piece from Don Giovanni (which I found fitting, as we have studied it in music history for a year), Der Rosenkavelier,  a favorite of Josey and mine, and even some Duke Ellington (It Don't Mean a Thing...).  They were absolutely spectacular musicians.  Technique, tone, interpretation...everything was fantastic, and overshadowed by the fact that I was sitting where the Esterhazy family would have sat to listen to Haydn's original work.  I feel musically complete: a pilgrim to my musical origins.
Completing the pilgrimage, we visited Haydn's mausoleum in the church in which he played regularly (thanks to Sandra, the admission was free).  I have trouble fathoming being so near such a great composer.  It was...awe-some.  I wish I could describe it in better words.

Shortly thereafter, wte at a local pizzaria, and Hawkins and I split a pizza that had bacon, ham, corn, and several different types of peppers.  I think Mom would have really liked it - it was very good!  Then, we visited Mario at the LSZ, which is the dispatching headquarters for all of Burgenland.  There, they take care of all fires, ambulances, disasters, and even rescue helicopters.  It was extremely interesting, and I was glad to see the side of the work which we will not be participating in.

Later in the afternoon, Hawkins and I went our separate ways, and Sandra drove me to Jennersdorf.  The Red Cross here is very modern looking (it is one of the newest buildings), and I met whole team upon my arrival.  Everyone is super friendly, and even though most people are nervous to speak English to me, I am already getting along so well with everyone.  I feel right at home - there are hills and cornfields and winding roads just like at home in TN.

After I got settled in, Michael (a volunteer here), Markus (the chief of the Jennersdorf Red Cross), and Joe, Marcus' friend who speaks very good English, as he has been in America several times, all took me to a nearby town, where there is "late night shopping."  I didn't know what they meant at first, but all it means is that the shops are open later than 6pm...they remain open until 9 or 10pm.  Being used to this, I didn't think it was anything special, but it is nearly like a fair.  There are some rides, lots of music, and traditional food all over the streets.  We had a great time, and Joe and I got to swap lots of stories about places we have mutually visited.

I am SO glad I am in Jennersdorf.  The town reminds me of home, and the people go so far out of their way to make me feel welcome.  I know my time here will be extremely enjoyable.

Tomorrow, I plan to sleep in and get to know the Red Cross here better.  I don't have ambulance duty for another few days, and before that, there is a station-wide cookout that Markus has invited me to.  Joe suggested I teach the guys here how to throw American football, and I just might do that.  I think that will be a lot of fun.

I wish I could convey to you how great the last few days have been here.  I have seen and heard music from composers' actual performance areas I never thought I'd hear.  I've met such gracious people that barely speak my language, but make me feel like a part of the team already.  And I've experienced so much culture!

At any rate.  I'll be heading to bed soon.  I'll write you again soon!

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment