Thursday, August 7, 2014

Austrian Internship: Day 27

The housekeeper here is incredibly kind.  She has washed my clothes for me twice now, and hung them up nearly to dry.  Saves me the hassle and it gets done better (because she can actually read the instructions on the washer).  Everyone here is so incredibly nice to me.  I'm excited to be back home in the US soon, but I'm going to miss them all so very much.

I "officially" finished Visions of Vocation today.  The epilogue was just as powerful as the rest of the entire book: if you haven't read it, you should.  It will completely change the way you view what you do, why you're doing it, and why it matters.

After lunch today I went on a mountain biking excursion with Chris.  I really wish I was going to be around here more, because I love going on adventures with him.  At any rate, we set off from the Red Cross on bike, went through a few villages, down (and up...I'm feeling the up quite a bit...) through the forest, until suddenly we found ourselves in Hungary, and there, to my great wonder, stood a small portion of the barbed wire fence that made the Iron Curtain.  An old watch tower had been restored there too.  It was very surreal for me to see.
After that, we cycled forward a few more kilometers (and up many more hills in the forest gravel road), and found the "Three Corners," the place where Austria, Slovenia,  and Hungary meet.  I stood in 3 different countries at once.  How cool is that?!  38 km later (that's 24 miles), I'm back at the station, and eager and excited to attend the Marriage of Figaro with Red Cross President and my friend, Bruno.  But first...I need a shower.

I am on duty at the Marriage of Figaro tonight, meaning I got in free of charge!  The opera is actually being held in a castle about 15 minutes from the station in an open-air fashion.  I'm extremely excited to hear how it sounds,  so I can begin mentally preparing for playing in it later this year.  I noticed that the trumpets in the (very young) orchestra are all rotary valve, which I found fascinating.
Being on duty means I have access to everything (and that I have to stand through the entire productuon), including backstage and the orchestra pit, which I have thoroughly explored.
While I was waiting on the opera to start, I briefly met with Bruno, who told me he has heard I am the "darling of Jennersdorf, winning everyone over with my Irish charm."  Bruno is a charmer himself, but extremely kind to me.  He gave me a program for the night, and made sure I'd be stationed midway up the audience: meaning I have a perfect view for the whole opera!  I can't believe I'm seeing Mozart's work produced in Austria.  This is a huge dream come true!  It really makes me miss Katie and Stacie and Josiah though...I want to be all dressed up and going with them to this.  Soon though, we'll all go to concerts together again!

They produced the opera in German, which I spose is to be expected...but I sorta hoped it would be in Italian.  The lead female role sings too much through her throat...or maybe it was the 3 cigarettes she smoked before the show.  Figaro, however, is amazing.  His voice and range are powerful and strong.  I can't help but keep wondering who will get what part when we produce it at school.
One of the actors was, I swear, a breeches role (a woman playing a man)...but holy smokes, it's a man with the range of a soprano...that can also sing tenor.  He blew me away.  The opera overall was fantastic.  The singers were powerful and their acting spot on.  The orchestra, while young (and the timpani being a bit sharp the entire night) was very impressive; they were good enough to have a conductor who merely "interprets the music" instead of directing the beat.

At any rate, it will be a late night and a very early morning.  The opera won't be over until midnight, and I have work at 7am, where I'm supposed to cook pankcakes.  We'll see if I'm alive enough to do that tomorrow, although at this rate, Markus may have to come drag me out of bed.

Tomorrow is my last full day at Jennersdorf, and I am sad.  We have plenty of great plans though.  Until then!

P.S. As the opera wasn't over until midnight, Markus told me to not worry about getting up, for which I am quite thankful.  After today, I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment