Friday, August 15, 2014

Austrian Internship: Day 35

I am writing to you once again on board an ICE train bound for Salzburg,  and eventually, the Smith's house in Frankfurt.  We just said goodbye to our last two Austrian friends Daniel and Sandra, who have done so very much for us.  We have a long day ahead of us: we figure it should take about 8 hours to reach Frankfurt.  I'm amazed that we're already finished with our internship.  I'm amazed at how much we have learned and how many fantastic friends we made here.  I'm very sad to be leaving, but my home country is pulling me back by the heartstrings, and it will be so good to be beneath the red, white, and blue once again.

The train we're on goes direct from Vienna to Frankfurt...meaning we'll be on this train from 11am until about 5pm.  Ironic to me that we're going to spending nearly the same amount of time crossing Austria and Germany as we are crossing the Atlantic.

There is a mother traveling with three of her kids in the same train with us, and her boys are *adorable.*  She just played a game of UNO with the youngest, and after besting her rather badly, he stood up in his seat and did a hilarious victory dance.  She is traveling with luggage nearly as large as she is (she's small, but still).  I don't know how she's managing it.  I had to help her put it in the storage space above her because she couldn't lift it.

I'm such a sap...I've been listening to Michael Buble songs and looking at old pictures of me and my crazy siblings.  I'm so ready to go home and goof off with them again!

I think my Austrian friends would laugh if they could hear the progression from "farmer German" back to the "high German" used near Frankfurt.  I think I like the Austrian German better.  It sounds friendlier.  ;)  it is also MUCH colder in the Germany area than it was it Neusiedl.  I'm really glad I wore my new hoodie.

One thing that I have learned for sure is how to get around a new traveling infrastructure with a language barrier.  That makes DC look tame.  I now feel like a hardened veteran of public transit.

After crashing back at the Smith's house, Mr and Mrs treated Hawkins and me to a *fantastic* steak house.  Talk about an amazing welcome "home" present!

We're getting up early tomorrow, crossing our fingers that our luggage isn't overweight, and flying home!  Next time I write to you will be in the airplane.   I'm SO happy.  Goodnight from Europe, for the last time.  At least for now.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment