Thursday, August 14, 2014

Austrian Internship: Day 34


Well, our last full day in Austria has been a slow and relaxing one, at least for the beginning of it.  Tonight, we're all puttin on our fancy duds and attending the Summer Gala at the Oranjee at the Esterhazy Palace.  Should be pretty cool!

People have told us we're "exotic" here,  but I didn't realize it until even the bartenders said as I passed by "oh,  you're the American!"  I had never seen them before.  Even the chief of Eisenstadt knew me because of my American breakfast, and introduced herself by saying "you must stay and cook for me!"  I I got a good laugh from that.

There was a polka band at the Gala like Dad has always wanted to see, and the shindig was started by official dancers.  And wouldn't you know it, since we were special guests, we were pulled out into the first dance, but thank goodness it was only a simple waltz.  I missed Jessica something awful tonight...We've always been dancing partners and learned new dances together, and tonight we could have torn up the dance floor.

We tried to explain all the rules at Bryan to Markus (no drinking, smoking, dancing, etc)...And he asked us if Bryan was a convent or a monastery - because it sounds similar to European rules there.  Hawkins and I laughed pretty hard at that.  Wish some people at Bryan could try explaining all of that like we did.  Maybe they'd loosen up a little.

I wish I had the words to thank all the wonderful people I met here in Neusiedl and in Jennersdorf.  You all know who you are, and you will all be missed more than I ever thought I'd miss someone I've only known for 1 month.  You have all made my time in Austria so very special and important for me, and I'll never forget you.  As the Austrians say, you always meet someone twice in your life.  And I greatly look forward to that second meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment